Somewhere between a scarf and a necklace, this craft for casual accessorizing is quick and easy to make. They’re stylish with a T-shirt and jeans or a basic dress and sandals. Let the fun begin.
Colorful T-shirt without side seams
- Smooth out T-shirt on a flat crevice. Cut across the T-shirt from armpit to armpit. (Discard top portion of shirt.)
- Cut off hem and discard.
- Cut ¾ to 1 inch strips from the mid-section of the T-shirt.
- Stretch circular strips of fabric as much as possible which become a tight circular cord.
- Choose three T-shirt cords.
- Snip each cord in the center to make one long cord.
- Lay all three cords next to one another with the top ends being even.
- Cover the top ends with a book to hold them in place.
- Braid the three pieces together.
- Tie braided ends together.
- Tuck in long ends or snip off.
Note: I like to go to recycled stores and buy many T-shirts in many colors. After laundering them, I set up an assembly line to make these inexpensive treasures. Then I’ll wear a strand or two on errand days. When I do, I’m asked at least once where I bought my necklace/scarf. These are fun to wear and they’ve been hits as give-a-ways at youth events or a simple activity that produces a long lasting memento.
This craft is a Proverbs 31 woman in action.
She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.